Bliss Balls & Golden Gugelhupfs
These bliss balls or energy balls are the perfect treat when you are craving something sweet but want to stay on the healthy road. The little delights will keep everyone happy, since they are FREE of refined sugar, lactose and gluten and you can even get your kids involved to help make them. Now that Christmas time is just around the corner, I love making big batches and pack them into beautiful boxes or sackets, gifting all my family and friends. As a nice and thoughtful alternative to all the common sugar and butter loaded christmas cookies, I also like to press the mixture into little silicone moulds, little gugelhupfts (bundt cakes) in my case, coat them with raw chocolate powder and sprinkle with some edible gold stars, et voilà in no time you have the perfect little christmas gift. I often serve these little gugelhupfs and bliss balls with fresh fruit salad as a desert for one of the christmas dinners.
They are made with dates, which are still full of natural sugars, so make sure you are still eating these as a treat, but unlike refined sugar, dates are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber . They contain oil, calcium, sulfur, iron, patassium phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium which are all supporting your health and wellbeing. They are also a great pre- or post workout snack as they provide muscle development.
Makes around 30 balls depending on size.
- 200g regular dates or approx. 20 Medjool dates
- 100g almonds
- 100g hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional for extra nutrients)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds (optional for extra nutrients)
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil – melted
- Coating: desiccated coconut, chopped pistachios, freeze dried rasperries and raw chocoalte powder for rolling
- 1. Process the almonds and hazelnuts in a food processor until coarsly chopped, the mix should be slightly chunky to help hold the balls together. Place in a big bowl.
- 2. Blend dates with a little water until you have a smooth date paste.
- 3. Add the rest of the ingeredients, process again and add into the bowl with the chopped nuts and mix.
- 4. If the mixture is too dry add alittle water or some more coconut oil.
- 5. Once mix starts to come together, shape mixture into balls, or press into silicon moulds.
- 6. For bliss balls: Roll in the desiccated coconut, chopped pistachios, freezedried rasperries or raw chocoalte powder.
- 7. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to let them firm up.
- For the gugelhupfs: once they are firm, take them out of the moulds, dip them into raw chocolate powder and sprinkle with gold stars.
- 8. Enjoy & indulge!